Turning round to look in the other direction and rear powercar 43138 passes in front of the Crofton Pumping Station used to pump water from the nearby pond to the canal summit a 3/4 of a mile away. Crofton Pumping Station was built in 1807 and started work soon after. The first engine installed in the building was a 36 inch bore Boulton and Watt which had a wooden beam and began working in 1809. In 1812, a 42 inch bore Boulton and Watt engine was installed beside it. In 1846, the 36 inch bore Boulton and Watt was replaced by a Sims Combined Cylinders Engine constructed by Harvey of Hayle. In 1905, the Sims engine was rebuilt with a new 42 inch bore cylinder designed and manufactured in the GWR works at Swindon and the engine was reassembled as a conventional Cornish Cycle engine. At the same time, the three remaining Cornish boilers in the main boiler house were replaced by a second Lancashire boiler. Today ordinary electric pumps do the water raising but when the restored steam engines are working the electric ones are turned off.